It’s one of the most widely known and available treats on the market. It’s also one of the popular debated chews due to safety concerns. They say that rawhide is good for cleaning dog’s teeth and helps with teething puppies. You might be asking, what is a rawhide? What is it made of? What’s wrong with it?
Rawhides treats come from the inner layer of cow or horse hides, which is treated and formed into chewable dog treats of different shapes and sizes. During process, the hide is treated with toxic chemicals and artificial preservatives to make them look and taste more appealing for dogs.
The consistency (hard or brittle) of certain rawhides can cut dogs’ mouth or even damage it’s teeth. If the chew is not the correct size for the dog, it could pose a choking and blockage risk. Worst case, if the blockage is not removed this can lead to death! Rawhide may also contain toxic chemicals. And, as with the other pet or human foods, bacteria such as Salmonella or E.coli contamination is really possible. Even us humans are at risk if we get in contact with these bacteria on rawhide treats.
Next time you shop for chews, please make sure to weigh the risks and benefits of giving rawhides. Also consider your pup’s chewing needs and health sensitivities. Remember that there are other treats and toys to fully satisfy you pup’s chewing and other needs. Always consult your veterinarian or the pet store merchant when getting one.