Do you want to show off your doggy’s gymnastic skills? Teach him how to roll over with one simple command from you. Make sure you have lots of treats to hand. You’ll need to give your dog a tasty reward at each stage of the roll so that he follows your hand with his nose.
Roll over trick 6 steps
- Begin by asking your dog to “Lie down!”. Give him a treat.
- Hold a treat in form on his nose and then move it back toward his shoulder so that he follows its trail and rolls on to his side. Give him the treat.
- Now move a treat down from his head toward his tail. He will stretch to reach it. Give him the treat.
- With your dog still lying on his side, move another treat down his body toward his tail, but this time move it over his body so that he has to twist to reach it. The idea is to get him to turn onto his back. Give him the treat.
- Use another treat to tempt him on to his other side.
- Once he’s learnt to follow the treat, say “Roll over” as you move the treat over his body and he rolls on to his back. Eventually he’ll learn that the command “Roll over” means that he has to turn right over onto his from to get the treat.
Repeat the above steps over and over again until your dog learnt how to roll over. Now, bear in mind that some dogs don’t like lying on their backs, so if your dog seems reluctant, try a different trick or game instead. Don’t physically try to roll your dog over.
Did You Know?
If your dog rolls onto his back and rubs his shoulders on the ground. It’s a sign that he’s happy and contented. Share this information to your family and friends for them to learn these steps.